Using jMeter to Load Test File Processing
January 7, 2011
I have a web site that accepts files in various formats, then processes them. The data ultimately ends up in a database.
We wanted to do a load test of this service, submitting multiple files simultaneously. JMeter can do this for us.
- Start jMeter using the jmeter.bat file in the bin directory
- Right click Test Plan, add/Threads (Users)/Thread Group
- Right click ThreadGroup, add/Sampler/HTTPRequest
- Number of threads can be controlled on thread group, as can the ramp-up time
- On HTTP Request, enter Server name or ip, Port, Method = POST, Path = /url/file/submitted/to
- Add file path, with parameter name as appropriate
- Run/Start to run the test. The number of threads running is shown top right during the test.
The test is logged to jmeter.log in JMeter's bin directory.